Tuesday 10 December 2013

Easy Knitting: Your Own Headband

Um diesen Beitrag auf deutsch zu lesen, bitte hier klicken.
Knitting for Beginners

I need a headband! It's winter, it's cold and only wearing beanies all the time is not very imaginative. On top of all, they are unpractical and unstylish when I wear my hair up. I couldn't really find any pretty headbands in the shops and if I did find one it was simply too expensive. Therefore, I came to the conclusion that knitting my own headband would be a perfect DIY project for this blog, especially since I found this really good instruction for a really cute and easy to knit headband on craftsnob.com.



I first learned how to knit when I was in school, like a lot of people (even boys learn it in Austria!). I never did much knitting afterwards, though, and that's why I also had to refreshen my memory. And where do you go when you want somebody to show you how to do things - correct: Youtube!

Bild

What you need:

  • wool (it's best to start with one that's not too fine and not too bulky)
  • knitting needles (should fit the thickness of you wool; you'll find the information on the label on the wool)
  • scissors
  • large needle to sew up the thread

You start with casting on 20 stitches. Since I didn't make any video myself, here's something I found on Youtube.

Bild
 

Afterwards it goes on just as simple. To get the hang of it again I chose a simple pattern just like on craftsnob.com where you only do plain/knit stitches.

Bild

You knit and knit until you reach your desired length (wrap it around your head from time to time). On the craftsnob-blog they did 14 inches but this seemed a bit small for my head so I added a little extra until the ends almost touched when I wrapped it loosely around my head. Wool is elastic and stretches with time anyways.

Bild

To cast off, i.e. end the piece, I also turned to Youtube: Knitting 101: Cast Off
And that's how the whole thing looked afterwards:

Bild

Next, the thread needs to be sewn up, so that the beautiful piece of work doesn't come undone. Do this on both sides.

Bild

Fold the ends and sew them together. Here's a picture what it should look like:

Bild
 

Pull on both sides of the thread to make it tight like this:

Bild
 

Now wrap around the thread a couple of times until the seam is not visible anymore. Then tie the ends into a knot and voilá - the headband is done!

Bild
 

I'm really proud and happy with my knitted headband :) It was quite simply to make and therefore makes the perfect beginners project. It took me about 6 hours from start to finish and I thought it was quite a nice activity while watching movies.

Any feedback or comments are well appreciated!

Happy knitting!
Christina


No comments :

Post a Comment