Tuesday 20 May 2014

Rhubarb Muffins - Inspired by Donna Hay

Für den Beitrag auf Deutsch, hier klicken. 



It was time I used something seasonal I haven't used before and here's the outcome of my challenge :) I've had rhubarb before but I never actually considered cooking or baking with it before. But since it's in season now and the supermarkets are full of it - why not try something new! A couple of years back I bought the cookbook "Off the Shelf" by Donna Hay. I loved the book at the time and I tried a couple of recipes but somehow I forgot about having it for a while. Now, however, I rediscovered it and it already inspired me for a new blog post! I'm really happy with the outcome and I have found my new favourite basic muffin recipe! I used Donna Hay's blueberry muffin recipe from the book as a foundation and adapted it to fit with rhubarb.

Ingredients (yields 8 muffins):

  • 250g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 110g cane sugar or brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 80ml vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 200g rhubarb

  Rhubarb Muffins

Wash the rhubarb and peel it by cutting off the ends and tearing of the outer skin bit by bit.

 
Rhubarb Muffins

This is what the rhubarb looks like when it's peeled.

 
Rhubarb Muffins

Rhubarb is rather sour on its own and, unfortunately, quite a bit of sugar has to be added for baking. If you have a good alternative for me, let me know in the comments! As I said, I haven't been using rhubarb before.... But to continue with this recipe: Cut the rhubarb in small pieces and coat them in 4 tablespoons of sugar (or the equivalent of artificial sweetener if you prefer).

 
Rhubarb Muffins

Put all ingredients into a bowl...

 
Rhubarb Muffins

...add the rhubarb and mix well with a wooden spoon.

 
Rhubarb Muffins

Portion the muffin mixture into 8 muffin paper liners or if you have, use reusable ones, e.g. made from silicone. Set the oven at 180°C and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clear.

 

Look at these beauties! :)

 

This recipe should work with pretty much any other fruit as well in case you don't like rhubarb or you just can't get hold of any. Maybe there'll be a seasonal adaption of this recipe in a future post!


Happy baking! 
C

No comments :

Post a Comment