Monday 10 November 2014

Apple Peach Crumble / Crisp (or: What to do with leftover fruit) - vegan

Um diesen Beitrag auf Deutsch zu lesen, bitte hier klicken.



Finally the autumn mood has also kicked in for me and when I get home from work, all i want to do is relax somewhere cozy and warm, maybe have a nice cup of tea and something that fits perfectly with that is a warm and juicy fruit crumble. I'm still not out of ideas for what beautiful things one can do with apples, and I also came across some great posts on other blogs so this might not be over yet ;) The recipe I'll share with you today will not be disappointing!  

Apart from being delicious, this Apple Peach Crumple/Crisp is also suitable for vegans. I'm not a vegan, but I love to try out vegan recipes from time to time. On my journey to a more sustainable lifestyle, I try to take one step at a time, but I'm very aware of the impact of animal product consumption. So, at the moment I am at a point where I manage to eat very little meat. I do eat meat at restaurants and dinner parties from time to time but I only do so, when I'm sure it will taste good and then it's something special. Sometimes it happens, though, that the choices of vegetarian meals are very limited. I hate nothing more than eating meat that's tasteless because that makes me feel even more sorry for the animal that had to die for this.

As for other animal products like diary, I also try to reduce my intake. There are some products, however, which are easier for me to substitute or omit than others. Milk, for example, is less difficult. I never liked milk anyway, not even as a child, so when I tried different kinds of plant based milk, I actually discovered them to be better than the animal version. Almond milk is my favourite, but unfortunately it's also the most expensive one here in Austria. 

Well, that was a little bit about me and my lifestyle, but enough of that for now and let's get on with the recipe!

For about 6 servings you'll need:
  • 3-4 medium apples
  • 2 peaches (fresh or canned)
  • 2/3 cup plain flour
  • 2/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 4 tbsp vegan margarine

Step 1: Cut the apples and peaches into bite-size cubes and mix them together in an oven-safe dish. As I used canned peaches, I also added a bit of the juice for more sweetness.

Step 2: Mix all other ingredients together in a separate bowl. I find it best to work in the margarine with the flour and oats with your hands, but you could definitely use a spoon or fork to do so.

Step 3: Sprinkle the mixture on top of the fruits until everything is well covered.

Step 4: Put the dish in the oven for 35-40 minutes on 180° C.

Apple Peach Crumble Crisp

Step 5: Enjoy! :)

Apple Peach Crumble Crisp



 

No comments :

Post a Comment